If you are looking for canary islands vacation, this blog post is for you. The canary islands are a Spanish archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa. There are 7 main islands, with over 700 kilometers of coastline to explore. This guide will help you plan your canary islands vacation on a budget, and give you some tips to make it even more affordable!
Where are the Canary Islands?
The canary islands are a group of islands that are located in the Atlantic Ocean near Morocco. In total, it is made up of seven main islands which include Tenerife, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, and Fuerteventura among others. These islands have been popular tourist destinations with many people from various parts of the world choosing to travel here every year. Canary Islands vacation is very popular with many people choosing to travel here every year.
Travelers have a lot of options for how to get to the Canary Islands. For example, you could fly from Madrid or Barcelona and take about three hours on a plane. Or, if you’re coming from London or Berlin, it might take around four and a half hours on an airplane.
The one thing that’s important is to be sure not to miss your flight because there are no direct flights from North America so your trip will be longer! But check out cheapo air fares who fly direct to major destinations for affordable travel.
Also, consider that you will need to plan your trip around the seasons. Traveling in the summer is more expensive and may not be as fun because there are lots of people on vacation!
Travelers have a lot of options for how they choose to travel throughout the islands once they arrive. For example, most destinations can be reached by bus or rental car depending on how much time you want to spend traveling.
Which of the Canary Islands is best?
Which is the best island among those beautiful islands? The answer to this question depends on what you are looking for.
If you are traveling with family, go to Tenerife. You will enjoy the wonderful weather and beautiful beaches. Tenerife is the biggest island in the Canary Islands, but it is still very quiet.
If you are looking for wild nightlife and party all night long, go to Gran Canaria. It offers many bars and nightclubs where you can enjoy your favorite drink and dance all night long.
If you are looking for peace, tranquility, go to Lanzarote Island. It is a quiet island with lovely beaches where you can enjoy the sun in total relaxation. The nature of Lanzarote is stunning! You will definitely fall in love with this place!
If you are looking for a romantic getaway with your special someone, go to La Gomera. It is a very quiet island where you can enjoy walks along the coast or hikes in the mountains.
Last but not least, if you are looking for a beautiful beach with crystal-clear water and amazing sunsets, go to La Palma island. Although it is less known than other islands of the Canary Islands archipelago, it offers wonderful places like El Roque de Los Muchachos stargazing observatory or Caldera de Taburiente National Park.
In short, the Canary Islands is a perfect place for everyone who wants to enjoy beautiful beaches and warm weather all year round.
Major Islands of the Canaries
The canary islands include a group of islands that are located just off the coast of Morocco. There’s a number of different canary islands, but many people visit Tenerife because this is one of the most popular ones to travel to as it offers some great beaches and activities for those who want to enjoy their vacation on a budget.
The islands are home to just over two million people – many of whom live in tourist areas – making them one of the most densely populated regions in the world! Here are the major islands to consider:
Tenerife is the largest island in the Canaries and is well-known for its carnival celebrations. The islands that make up this archipelago are volcanic in origin and much of the land is mountainous. Tenerife is home to two UNESCO World Heritage Sites and features four different climates – has something for everyone! It is the most populated island in the Canaries and offers a wide variety of activities from water sports, to adventure parks, golf courses, and more! It’s also one of the best places for surfing as well as kite surfing too. Whether you want a beach vacation or an active, culture-filled trip, Tenerife won’t disappoint.
Lanzarote is perfect for water sports and has some of the clearest waters in Europe! However, Lanzarote also boasts many archaeological sites that are worth exploring while on vacation here. There is also the town of Arrecife, which is home to many festivals for you to take part in. Lanzarote has been voted as one of the most beautiful islands in Europe – has golden sand beaches with clear water that are simply picture-perfect. And, you’ll find some impressive volcanic landscapes here too!
La Palma is known as one of the best places in the world to stargaze and is a UNESCO site. It has many different activities for you to enjoy such as hiking because of its lush vegetation. This island has so much natural beauty to explore. The capital city of Santa Cruz de La Palma has many festivals and is known for its local food. La Palma features a mountain range and volcanos, La Caldera de Taburiente National Park – which is home to the rare Canary Island Pine tree. It’s also one of the best places for hiking!
La Gomera – ranked as one of the prettiest islands in Europe – has hiking trails through mossy forests and impressive views from craggy hillsides that will take your breath away. While on vacation here, visit the town of San Sebastian for a taste of some authentic cuisine and to take in panoramic views from the Mirador de la Cruz.
El Hierro – which is home to Puerto de Santiago – has a volcanic landscape that is unlike anything else you’ll find in Europe! This island is also the smallest of the Canary Islands. El Hierro is known as “The Green Island” because of its lush vegetation. Visitors flock here in droves to enjoy these stunning views! May through October is peak season, so this may be the best time to visit if you’re looking to avoid the crowds.
Fuerteventura – known as “The Sunny Island” for its year-round sunshine – has over 90 miles of pristine beaches and sparkling waters. Visitors flock here in droves to enjoy these stunning views! May through October is peak season, so this may be the best time to visit if you’re looking to avoid the crowds. Fuerteventura is well-known for its windsurfing and kite surfing – has a spectacular coastline with endless beaches where you can relax or take part in water sports! You’ll also find many pubs, restaurants, hotels, and shops here too.
Gran Canaria – the second-largest of the Canary Islands – is home to many cultural attractions. There’s also some impressive architecture here, including castles and churches that are sure to take your breath away! It’s the perfect place to explore all types of historic buildings. Gran Canaria is known as “The Island of Eternal Spring” because the temperature is always mild and pleasant. This island has a Spanish influence, which you can see in its architecture but also hear in its music too! You’ll find many pubs, shops, restaurants here – has much to offer visitors who want culture and relaxation on their vacation.
Canary Islands Vacation Budgeting
The Canary Islands are a popular vacation destination for Europeans and those looking to travel on a budget. There are many things that you can do as a traveler or as someone visiting the islands on a budget, but here are 11 of my favorites!
- Avios – There are many ways to save money on a stay in the Canary Islands. One of the best is using your Avios points. British Airways flies into three different destinations from various UK hubs, with prices based on whether you use Euro Traveller or Club Europe tickets. Avios points are also good for Air Berlin, Monarch Airlines, and Aer Lingus. So if you’re coming from London or Edinburgh, consider using Avios points to fly into the Canary Islands with BA. If you are flying from the U.S. or Canada, rewards programs like AAdvantage and Aeroplan can help you find cheap flights.
- Pack light – One of the best ways to save money on your vacation is to pack light. Most resorts offer laundry facilities, so you can wash your clothes at no additional charge each week or two. You’ll also save money on luggage fees if you only have one suitcase for the whole trip instead of multiple bags that need to be checked in and carried through airports.
- Book roundtrip flights – If you’re flying into the Canary Islands from the U.S., make sure to book a roundtrip flight, even if you’re planning on leaving for another destination after your trip. That way you can maximize how much time you spend in the Canary Islands and save money on booking additional flights at higher prices.
- Seek out cheap or free activities – There are plenty of great places to visit in the Canary Islands that don’t charge admission. For example, you can easily spend hours strolling through La Laguna, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with an impressive cathedral and stunning architecture from the 16th century. The city also hosts free concerts on Saturdays at sunset along its harbor walkways during the summer months.
- Get the most out of your hotel – If you book a room with breakfast, make sure to use it. There are plenty of great restaurants all over the Canary Islands serving affordable meals and drinks. But if you eat at your resort every day for breakfast and dinner, that can add up quickly! The same goes for any other amenities included in your stay like Wi-Fi, a pool, or fitness centers.
- Travel off-season – The Canary Islands are a popular destination for travelers from the U.S., which means that hotel rooms and flights can be at a premium during peak travel times between June and September. If you’re planning on traveling during those months, make sure to book your flight or hotel room at least a month in advance to get the best deal.
- Use Budget Airlines – One of the best ways to save on your Canary Islands vacation is by using budget airlines. Ryanair and EasyJet both fly into Lanzarote, Tenerife, and Gran Canaria from various UK airports like London Stansted, Liverpool John Lennon Airport, and Edinburgh (for those who use Avios points). Plus many destinations in Europe can be found at cheaper rates than flying directly to the Canary Islands. If you are traveling from the U.S., budget airlines like Wow Air and Norwegian offer flights to the Canary Islands from various U.S. cities like Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Miami for a fraction of the price compared with major carriers.
- Travel smart – If you’re looking to save money on your vacation but don’t want to go through a travel agent or tour operator to arrange your trip, there are plenty of websites that can help you find the best deal. For example, Skyscanner lets you search in real-time to compare flight prices from dozens of different airlines and online travel agencies in one place without having to go through multiple sites or apps. You’ll also get a wealth of information about how far in advance you should book your flights and how to get the best deal.
- Consider Island Hoping – If you’re traveling to the Canary Islands from another destination in Europe, consider island hopping. The Canary Islands are located off of Portugal’s coast and within easy reach for travelers coming from Lisbon or Porto. For example, it only costs about $20 one-way on budget airlines like Ryanair if you fly into Tenerife South Airport (the island of Tenerife is actually made up of two airports) and then take a ferry over to the island of La Gomera. From there, you can catch another ferry or fly back to Gran Canaria where budget airlines like Ryanair also operate from its new terminal at Las Palmas Airport (LPA).
- Consider An Airbnb – If you’re looking to save money on your accommodation, consider using Airbnb. There are plenty of great places available for a fraction of the cost compared with a traditional hotel – many even have pools or private beaches! Plus if you book an entire place it can be cheaper than having multiple people split the costs of a standard room at a resort.
- Dining Out Off The beaten Track – If your goal is to save money on restaurants while you’re in the Canary Islands, consider exploring areas off of the beaten path. For example, in some of the major resorts that offer all-inclusive dining options, try heading out for a meal during happy hour. There you’ll find a number of restaurants and bars where meals are less expensive than on the main streets, especially during happy hour from around 16:00 to 19:30 when drinks can be as cheap as €0.50 each!